We tow the camping trailer with a 2011 Holden Colorado 4×4 Twin Cab Ute.
When we bought the Ute it had the standard tub on the back.
We removed that and put a Metalink Canopy on the back. Since we like to go to remote destinations and free camp as much as possible the Ute is setup to allow us to do that for extended period of times. More details on this later. Ute and trailer have the same stud pattern and offset so tyres can be swapped between vehicles.
Modifications to the Ute include:
- ARB winch bull bar
- Lightforce driving lights mounted on the bull bar
- ARB snorkel
- Upgrade to suspension and lift
- TJM side steps
- ARB front and rear diff lockers – Chris installed all the air side of things
- Air bags
- Chassis extension by Creative Conversions
- Upgrade to Cooper ST Maxx Tyres, 2 spares
- Garmin CB radio
- Electric brake controller
- Telstra Next G aerial
100w Solar Panel on the roof of the canopy that not only charges the axillary batteries but also the main starter battery. So if we are sitting still for a while or not driving enough to charge it, this should stop us having a flat battery.
We removed the back seats and have installed:
- 3 AGM 120 amh batteries
- 60amp Sterling battery charger,
- DC to DC charger
- 2000w inverter
- Air-compressor and air tank. Chris did all the work in this area himself.
We have roof racks on the canopy for the kayak and awning. Roof racks on the roof of the cabin that carry’s a spare tyre, maxx tracks and spade.
Chris did all the work himself and has set the canopy up to allow us to have everything we need for quick setups and packups and travelling for long periods of time without having to go into caravan parks. The canopy has 3 doors with alarms, one on each side and on the back.
- Each door has a strip of led lights
- Drawers on both sides
- Evakool 60L fridge/freezer we use as a freezer
- 140L custom made water tank, pump and gauge
- Baby Webber Q
- Power boards
- 20i Honda generator
- Rear work lights
In the canopy we also carry, ensuite tent, recovery gear, awning/canvas for trailer, pantry and kitchen items, tools, hoses, fan, table and chairs, ladder, power leads, broom, bucket etc
Our recovery gear includes:
- Winch on the Ute
- TJM Recovery kit – snatch straps, tree trunk protector, shackles, snatch block, recovery blanket etc
- Maxx tracks
- 2 spares for the Ute, 1 for the trailer
- Tyre repair kit
- Windscreen repair kit
- Fire extinguishers
- Fire blanket
- Water Blind
- Satellite phone
Only had to use the recovery gear a couple of times.